+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snow again...

Default Snow again...

Woke up to snow on the foothills again...the wineglass is mostly covered. After church and lunch in town at 2:30 pm it is still snowing. Our poor bluebirds and tree swallows are getting hit again. They just can't find enough food, roost in the boxes and die. Darm.
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 06-10-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

I really hate to hear that! What a shame. My bluebird boxes were used and young have left. I still have a couple that visit one of my 2 bird baths and they are beautiful. I had my 2 wrens that build a nest under my carport each year and they have raised their young. I put up a bird box on my back deck on one of the posts that supports the roof and had a pair of chick-a-dees checking it out and they finally used it and raised 4 young from it. We sure miss them. You could sit on the back deck and they would fly in with food and feed the young. While I was at TroutFest in Townsend, TN, my wife called and said she got to watch the young exit the box and fly away.

I hope your weather warms up a bit so the birds can feed.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

We had fresh snow on the hills just west of the house this morning, and there was still some on the roof of the Visitor Center at Lolo Pass when I went through about 1:30 p.m.

But I think the birds are doing okay. Several humming birds around the feeder constantly, and the baby blue birds were chirping away a bit earlier.

John
    The fish are always right.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I would love to fish Montana but, I don't know about living there. We have had two clutches of sparrows in our house from the same parents. Hummingbird aren't here yet but the pair of Carolina Wrens are awesome. What a pretty song. We bought some Bluebird houses but didn't get them up in time.

We didn't get any snow up here this weekend, but we did get rained out of our camping trip. We must have looked like a bunch of drowned rats to the cars passing by, lol. I told my wife as we were lying on the air mattress with our son wriggling between us that at least we got the one bad camping trip out of the way for the year....she didn't find it as funny as I did.

TT.

Benn 85-95 here most all of the past week. Want me to box some of the heat up and send ya?

Steve

10:30 in the morning and it's 64% with a slight breeze. As I sit here at the computer, I'm looking out the window into our back yard, where two Cedar Waxwings are perched on a limb in one of our Mountain Ash trees doing their courtship dance. It's cool to watch as one hops up to the other and preens either side of the other's head, then retreats. Then the other hops up to the first and does the same thing. It went on for just about 3-5 minutes. Neat!
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I put out a bird feeder this spring along with a humming bird feeder at the front of the house. Took a couple weeks but I finally got the first humming bird to show up the other day for all of about 5 seconds. Hopefully now that he knows there's a feeder there he will come back again.

I also put a feeder for other birds out back, but that has been more of a war between me and the squirrels & chipmunks than anything else lol

Steve

Steve

I've had my humnming bird feeder out for about a month now. We have 4 or 5 regulars that show up every year and this year a new comer that I have only seen once when it darn near skewered me heading for the feeder. It had an orange or copper colored chest. Can't wait for it to show up again so I can get a better look at it.

Bird feeder stays out year round but I don't fill it as often in the spring and summer.

Today's weather in the NW corner of the NW; raining. What else would you expect?
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread