... as I can get the tippet. To get it that short, I had to tie the fly on the tippet first and then very carefully form the clinch knot to the tip ring in the furled leader.

That's the largest of the six fish that took the fly fished off the 1" tippet. The water was down just a bit, and the clarity was better. But using a longer leader made controlling the fly and achieving depth at distance problematic. Not sure if the clarity and improved visibility of the leader to the fishies made much of a difference since the catching was okay in shallower water.

The short tippet to the bright orange / yellow blended leader was not the major issue, best I could tell. Getting the thread furled leader down deep enough to catch the fishies in the deeper runs and slots was the biggest factor, and was more like work than fun.

That about does it for this experiment. Glad I did it. One of the lessons is that thread furled leaders really do have a resistance to sinking compared to mono and / or fluoro leaders when nymphing.

John

P.S. After I changed to my regular set up with 2X mono leader / tippet, the catching picked up quickly. The fly was getting down where it needed to be, and a dozen plus trouts got on it, including a grand slam to include cutts, bows, browns, and one bull trout.