While I can't say that I consider my trout flies works of art, I can say that I fuss way too much over them> I take my time tying (far more than I probably should per fly) each one and sometimes spend a moment admiring them when I have become competent with a new technique. I never got into the whole winged wet thing as it frustrates me after spending a bunch of time trying to get the wing right, only to have the wing shreded ater the first fish. I love to tye soft hackled wets, and I try to focus on correct proportions of the flies. Getting most trout flies right means the proper proportions must be right to be presented with a convincing profile that would compare well to the naturals. Someone mentioned Presentation earlier and I can't agree more. Presentation skill requires the ability to read a stream and the ability to make good casts. Nearly as important is what to do with the fly on the drift, ie when and how to mend line. There are so many skills involved with fly fishing that I could continue ad-infinitum.

So essentially I agree with Andy when he says that we should fish with our best efforts from the bench, and maintain a measure of pride in our product. This is all a subjective matter of what brings personal satisfaction to each individual fisherman. I tie all my own flies, and fish all my own flies with the exception of a few friends flies that have been shared with me. I often give flies away to those who are less familiar with fishing a given piece of water. I certainly wouldn't want to give them junk! I respect my quarry too, and I am not about to present them junk either!

aa