Welcome to the board. First off the rod/reel combo. I have the NXT Series combo and for the price, it can't be beat. It's a great intro set up.Also, in my opinion, a 5wt setup will give you the most versatility. It can be used for trout, bass, and other panfish. Next. Learning to cast. Being new myself, I watched alot of youtube videos and also went to the Orvis news sight with a ton of videos. I also practiced with a cheap line in my back yard many hours. Joining a club is a great idea but, you can also join some of the Canadian forums and may hook up with people from your area. As far as line goes, I have heard great things about the line Allen Fly Company sells and at a great price or check ebay and these forums. I see lots of lines for sale here. Just make sure you know what weight rod you will be using and whether you will be fishing on top of the water or streamer fishing in some of the lakes there in Canada. Again, welcome aboard from Virginia. I hope this helps but, I'm sure you will get lots more soon.