Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
... handles everything I need for fishing for a one day outing or a multiple day excursion.

This hydration model holds a first aid kit, a bag with most of the "ten essentials", TP and cleaning towels, bear spray, a bag with an assortment of furled leaders, tippet material and Tenkara lines, an aquarium net for seining, a couple reels ( if not carried in rod / reel cases ), separate fly boxes for small dries, large dries, small nymphs, large nymphs and streamers, plus a Fishpond Chest Pack with room left over for a rain jacket and fleece cap inside, plus it has mesh waterbottle holders and cord to hold a jacket on the outside.

It's always loaded and handy. Just pick out the appropriate rod / reel combinations and I'm good to go.

John

P.S. Did I mention room for a sunglasses case and snacks ?? Wallet, keys, and other small incidentals, like the camera ??

P.S.1 These Camelbak packs are bulletproof. I put close to a thousand days of fishing and hiking outings on my first one. It's still useable, but it is a bit drab from fading and the stitching for the zipper on the main compartment needs some repair. The new one ( in the pic ) does lend to better organization of the contents.

I meant to confine my comments to using the pack for fishing gear. I haven't used it for an overnight camping trip.

In addition to what is described, I could add a water filter, some dehydrated camp chow, a minimalist tarp, and some fleece pants and make do in decent weather. I'd have to wear the chest pack instead of carrying it inside the Camelbak and use the outer pockets and attachments and the hydration pouch more efficiently, but it would probably work out just fine.

John

P.S. If I were going to do an overnighter, it would probably be somewhere where I would only use Tenkara gear, which would free up a lot of space by eliminating reels, the number of fly boxes, etc.