+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gray Drake

Default Gray Drake

hey folks,
    i post here sometimes... and i'm from Charleston, WV. this is a great site for info... and I usually search here when i'm in need of info I can't find anywhere else.
    I was wondering if I could get any help, and/or suggestions on my upcoming trip.

I'm going to get to do a dream trip of mine this summer. kind of just happened on a whim, and 2 tickets flying into Salt Lake City on the 29th of July and flying out of Idaho Falls, Idaho on the 6th of August were purchased.

This trip will entail the first day on the Provo, or something else pretty close to SLC, a day floating the S. Fork of the Snake, a day hiking the Tetons, a day on the Madison, Slough Creek, and the Gallatin. If I can get all that in, in 8-9 days.

I've been doing some research recently about hatches and noticed that the Gray Drake hatch will be occuring during that time and looked it up on the net to tie some patterns. I'm seeing brown ones, olive ones, black ones... lol... so now i have no idea in heck as to what color I need to use. I was wondering what color they were in that neck of the woods.... or if they are even worth my time to mess with??

Can I get some feedback?

Thanks!

WV browntrout

WV,

You might find some patterns under 'Slate Drake'. I think same fly, different name. Basically, a gray color fly.

Someone else shed some light on this.

Allanm

Hey WV
    Pardon me if you have already "browsed" this but have you gone [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/greatrivers/madison/:5b9ff]here[/url:5b9ff] or [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/greatrivers/snake/:5b9ff]here[/url:5b9ff]
    I envy your trip and hope you have a great time.
    mcsteff

I would tie a few different "grays" from light to dark. The drakes can take on a WHOLE range of shades of gray, and sometimes, the dang trout get pickey about the colors.

Also, tie some emergers. The fish sometimes will feed on them and leave the drys alone.

I always fish a dry on top and drop an emerger off teh back.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

If it's the Slate Drake (Isonychia), than tyeflies is correct. They are kind of grey colored. There are some that are kind of a dark dun color as well (the belly is kind of a pale olive/yellow color). Here in the Northeast, I usually use a grey or rusty compara dun and have a lot of success with them. For the spinner I use a standard Rusty Spinner. For nymphs, either a herl bodied pattern or a deep claret color works very hell. Hope that helps to some extent.

thanks for the replies guys!

WV browntrout

In the West, Gray Drake is the common name for (genus) Siplonurus. In their book, Western Mayfly Hatches, for the dun lifestage, Hafele/Hughes recommend a Gray Wulff in size #10-#12.

------------------
    Taxon
    [url=http://FlyfishingEntomology.com:bac85]FlyfishingEntomology.com[/url:bac85]

I fish the gray drakes with, surprise, a gray fly in sizes 10, 12 or sometimes 14. Alot of folks use a gray drake spinner pattern on the northern waters you mentioned, which works well at times. A gray wullf, or an adams pattern also works.

A common name for grays is the black drake.

Unfortunately, when you come out fishing in this region this summer I think you will be a bit early for them.

Last year on the Teton river the drakes started showing up in August and continued sporadically into Oct.

You probally will see some gray drakes in July on the Henry's fork especially below Ashton. It is about a 1000' lower then Teton valley.

Rob

A common name for grays is the black drake.
    Rob-

There are many mayflies with a common name including Drake. However, I believe you'll find that Grey Drake is the common name for Siphlonurus spp., and that Black Drake is the common name for Ephemera guttulata.

You can use [url=http://www.flyfishingentomology.com/Names%20Query%20(Either).asp:3e88a]this query[/url:3e88a], key Drake into the common name field, and click the Submit Query button to see what I mean.

------------------
    Taxon
    [url=http://FlyfishingEntomology.com:3e88a]FlyfishingEntomology.com[/url:3e88a]

[This message has been edited by Taxon (edited 08 April 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread