Thread: Woolly Buggers

Threaded View

My buggers for bass are tied with saddle hackle, angora goat, and flash and incorporate a weed/snag guard made from multi strand nylon coated stainless steel wire. I use different amount of weight under the materials. I mix my own goat dubbing using a primary base color and mixing in smaller amounts of other highlight colors, though I'm sure just one color would work. I usually mix some raw antron fibers into the dubbing for a bit of sparkle.

To speed the tying process I make dubbing brushes using saddle hackle and the dubbing mix. Depending on fly size I can get from 2 to 6 flies per brush. After the head is finished I quickly pick out the obviously overwrapped hackle and goat fibers. Real seal or imitation seal fur also works well. I can make them sparse or full. If I want to get really wild I will toss in some rubber legs when making the brush. If I want a more slender fly I will skip the hackle. I make them in size 12 through 4.

The same fly tied in white/grey makes a great threadfin shad imitation.

A couple of examples. Note the weedguards which you can see if you look closely. The guards allow me to toss these into fairly heavy cover.

Last edited by tailingloop; 06-13-2011 at 05:52 AM.