+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stinger hooks question

Default Stinger hooks question

Hi Folks,
    I have noticed that some are using stinger hooks for tying bass flies. Can some one please post a pic of a stinger hook, name of manufacturer and a resource for purchase.

I searched through the cabela's catalogs...fly and spin and found nothing with that name. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gerri

This is one ...they are very available.....

http://www.smallmouthflyshop.com/pro...7-stinger-hook

For most of my bass bugs I use the Gamakatsu B10s. It is the sharpest hook I have found and it is super stout.

A 1/0 or 2/0 is my favorite. I use #2 hooks for some occasions but not much. Looks like this:

I'm with SKershaw on this one. I've had more than one large bass bend the traditional stinger hook since they are made from rather light wire. I don't mind losing a fish because he throws the hook or even if the tippet breaks, but it bugs me to lose them because the hook bends. You can't do much better than Gamekatsu hooks IMHO.

Jim Smith

Qerri,

The Mustad 'stinger hook' is a very odd bend that has been used for years for bass bugs and other bass flies. I think the concept behind this design was to increase the gape of the hook. Operative word in this is 'think', since I really don't know. Maybe Dr. Fish can weigh in and explain the odd shape of this hook...

In any event, I do not like it.

It doesn't hook well for me, and the wire is too light, in my opinion. I've had them straighten out with 6 pound tippet....

I don't know why it's called a 'stinger' hook either. For some reason, several other hooks intended for bass flies are also called 'stinger hooks', even without that odd shaped Mustad bend. To me, a 'stinger hook' is a second hook trailing behind the first to 'sting' short striking fish....

I tie most of my bass flies on Mustad 3366 sproat hooks. Inexpensive, strong, and they hook and hold fish very well. If I need a second 'stinger' hook, I use these for that, too (no need for it on bass flies, but I do use them a lot on flies for pike).

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread