Spinner1,

I believe there was some discussion not too long ago about a couple of brown trout that some one thought the second one had looked like a brooktrout. Don't recall the thread. Anyway, at one point it was mostly the Loch Levens planted west of the Mississippi , and Von Behrs to the east. At one point they were both planted throughout the country. Since they do interbreed, you will find any number of color combos, depending on the strength of that particular fishes gene pool. I believe the Loch Leven strain did not attain the size that the German browns did in their native habitat?

Highlander - Had the privilege of seeing Lock Leven while on my way to Inverness, back in 1984 (June). I seem to recall seeing some fish farming pens in the Loch? Or were they some kind of fish traps? Got to see many of the lochs I've heard about all my life - Tay, Lomond, Leven, and of course Loch Ness. Beautiful, beautiful country side. Only got to fish the River Ness and a wonderful small loch to the east of Inverness.

Best regards, Dave S.