+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: magnetic net keeper?

Question magnetic net keeper?

I'm strictly a catch and release man, but I'm also a klutz. I use a net to take a pic of a fish if I catch one. It helps me hold fish and rod and camera, if you see what I mean. Anyway, I got a magnetic net keeper, and I like it. But I worry that it'll hang on a limb or something and come loose and I'll lose my net. I'd probably feel it, but still I worry about it. Anybody have any problems with these, or am I just worrying needlessly?

thanks,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I have never had the magnet pull apart while hiking and fishing; however, I have had the lanyard that comes with the net (attached to the handle) pull out of the handle. I attach my magnet to the top of the net and the other part on loop high on the back of my vest so it hangs off my back handle down and easy to reach. I don't attach the one magnet section to the lanyard that comes attached to the handle of the net -- because I have had the lanyard pull out of the net and lost the net.

My fishing buddy made kind of an elastic cord safety strap that he uses --- kind of like on the wading staff --- and he attaches it to the handle lanyard. If I was concerned about losing my net, based upon my experience of having that net lanyard pull out of the handle, I would drill a small hole through the handle for a safety elastic cord of about 5 or 6 ft. so one end in hooked to my wader belt and the other to the net handle.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 01-22-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: grammer and clarify content

Blog Entries

I am a Rose-Creek net release guy.

http://lenharris.blogspot.com/2009/0...g-but-net.html

The magnet should be for convenience, for keeping the net out of the way but easy to access. So don't count on it to secure the net to your back or waist. Use the lanyard the net came with, or get an elastic or curly-q type. Then install the magnet in parallell, between the net and your vest or belt. When you want it, you pull on the net and the magnet releases it but the lanyard holds it if you have to drop it.

When I use a net, which is rare, I like the Orvis magnetic net release.
    Don't know what brand you're using but with the Orvis you'll know before you lose your net.
    It's simply the strongest, in my opinion.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I have had bad luck with re-attaching my large Brodin Cutthroat net with magnetic net releases, including my newest, $30.00 the Net Keeper from Hook & Hackle, which I will sell. I know it's just me, but I have had 3 or 4 & have trouble with them all.
    What I use now is Gear Keeper & love it (it locks too). In fact, their entire line is nice. I also want their camera zinger & already own the standard zingers.
    Here's the site... http://gearkeeper.com/flyfish/landingnetretrac.html
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

It is a big net and it holds it secure.
    Rose Creek is the way to go

Blog Entries

hNt,

I used to use a magnetic keeper but it wasn't strong enough. Then I went to a keeper sold by Cabelas. It was a pull apart/snap together type. It was decent, but naturally you could loose a net if it hung up in the brush, but I am sure you would know it was missing as your head jerked back before the net released.

Last year at the FFF Fly Fising Fair/Conclave in West Yellowstone, a person donated a Rare Earth magnetic net release for the silent auction. I wish I would have found his booth and bought one. The one he donated, when I looked at it I thought, oh yea, this will really hold a net (with sarcasm in my voice). One piece was like a very short half inch rod with a flat surface. Magnetically attached to that was a ball joint looking piece. That means there was a very small 1/64th of an inch spot on the ball joint that was in contact with the short shaft. I figured, yea, right. So, I took it out of the package. Man oh man, what a grip. Just to pull those two pieces apart took a lot of strength. I don't think you would loose a net with something like that. I just hope the person is back at the Conclave again this year, I will be buying one of those rare earth magnets for sure.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Cold Guest

spinner, how does that thing work? It seems to be an interesting design but, I hate to say, their site is somewhat poorly designed, and offers no close-up view of the connecter.

tuber, I use the gear keeper micro zingers and love them.

I agree with bobbyg. The Orvis is the best I have found. Comes with a safety strap from the magnet to a clip you fasten on to any spare ring you have on the side of your vest. I clip the magnet to the ring on the back of my vest at the neck and attach the other magnet with the safety strap to the net end of my net so that it hangs handle down on my back. Then just reach around, grab the handle, and pull. I use a net on fish because I think is is less damaging than picking them up by hand. I prefer not to take them out of the water and just use a ketchum release but if there is a lot of current or the fish is a little uncoperative, out comes the net.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread