Just a bit of background to my response. I have 12 rods, 4 of which are StC, and I belong to a casting club so get to try several brands. IMO newer manufacturing methods or ingredients are used to make rods that either lighter for the same action, or stiffer (or both lighter and stiffer). However for most fishing - as opposed to casting - a med. to med-fast action is more enjoyable for me than a fast/stiff rod. And for a less experienced caster a softer/slower rod is a help due to the casters lack of 'touch' and their need to develop good timing in the cast. Slower rods (older technology) are more forgiving of caster error. Re. StC, I would get a 9ft rod in the Legend Ultra model, but would consider an 8.5ft model for an Avid, or lower model. I find them a little tip heavy (although durable) and the softer models bounce a little too much for me in the 9ft version.

Short answer: if you are moving up to this new rod, as opposed to adding to your already full quiver, get the older model and maybe at a discount. Good luck.