Jim,

I carry Rio (mono) for 3,4,5 & 6X tippets. Enrico Puglisi (mono) in 6,7, & 8X tippet material. I seldom use anything larger than 3X, even on #2 streamers. We're talking trout fishing. The only thing I've HAD to use 1X/0X on are #12 dry fly spider patterns that consist of hackle an inch or more in diameter when wrapped around the hook. Any thing less and these spiders will twist your leader into a birds nest that only the Ospreys would admire! LOL!!! BTW, when I fish these spiders, the fly and the leader are greased, so you can skitter these big fluff balls across the surface. Very effective! Currently I build 7 to 9ft. tapered leaders for streamer fishing, but am considering using level leaders of 3X fluorocarbon. Just not sure if tapered leaders are necessary for streamers. I do like that fluoro is supposed to be more abrasion resistant. As you pointed out Jim, not all .008 (3X) material is actually .008, which can mess with your leader formula. Instead of looking like a tapered bull whip, it will look like a Python that swallowed a pig!(a little dramatic, but you get the picture!) I have to ask: What do you do when the fish are sipping on stuff that is #24 to #32? My answer is 6,7,8 or 9X. This is the stuff that works for me in the type of fishing I encounter. As a wise man/women? once said - YMMV...

Best regards, Dave S.