I've gotten similar comments as well because Central Ohio is certainly not a place often associated with fly fishing. Like many of you other warm water fly anglers it seems I've caught everything BUT trout. Several species of sunfish. warmouth bass, smallmouth, largemouth even a saugeye in one of the bigger state park lakes around here. I was at a small municipal pond a few weeks ago when I caught my first trout in 10 years with a flyrod. (ok it was a stocked DNR fish but still a nice trout). There were 2 kids, about 12 years old maybe, that came up to me and asked what kind of 'pole' I was using and then "what ya using for bait mister?" I swear it was like a re-incarnation of Opie Taylor! There was one guy in his 80's just out walking around the path that morning and stopped to watch for several minutes before politely interrupting (my less than graceful casting) to ask "I always wondered how a fly rod worked". We talked for about 20 minutes on the fishing history of this particular pond for the last 75 years.

Between the 2 kids, the chat with the old man and my first trout, I don't know which was the best part. I do know I never had such a great day fishing though.