Quote Originally Posted by RexW View Post
Does anyone have a basic lesson plan for a fly tying class that they would be willing to share?
There is a basic template most beginning classes follow (e.g. bugger->nymph->dry), and the amount of material/patterns covered is determined by time. An hour a week for 4-6 weeks seems like a very tight schedule. For example, my classes are usually 3-4 3 hour sessions and we start with thread midges and finish with parachutes. From what I've seen, this is a much more average pace.

Regardless, in my mind you have the right attitude in that patterns are unimportant, learning techniques are key. The other recommendation I would make is that mastering fundamentals is critical, so each class must build on the techniques learned in the previous class. With a short class, emphasizing homework where the students do work on their own may help expedite the learning process.

With your format I would keep the flies simple, and make sure you quickly demonstrate the fly before having the class tie, if you go that route (usually the method one uses). I imagine you will not be able to do more than a pattern a class, and you may want to consider just doing a couple of basic patterns with many variants rather than focussing on many patterns. I would also recommend you keep the classes small (6 or less), because it will be easier to manage.

Good luck.