Note to self.... Don't take a new type of pole to the water without knowing what you have....

Took the kids to an urban lake nearby. Red Mountain park is gorgeous and not nearly as fished as some other urban lakes in the area. My two year old was skunked, which is what happens when you chuck the entire pole at the blue gills... My son took his grandfather's Ugly Stik fly rod and just took the fish to town on an olive #12 bugger. seriously... the lake hasn't been stocked with trout yet, but he landed a 13 incher, followed up two casts later ( he hadn't ever cast on water before now) with a 15 inch bass, then the bluegills came t play. They were lunch. and my camera took a swim... Next paycheck brings a new camera... and Saturday, we're taking to the Verde River under GRanite Reef Dam. Gonna borrow a camera for that one.

BTW, I took my grandfather's old unknown fiberglass rod, my step mother's pflueger reel, and a line on it that is still a mystery.... I was skunked, tangled and confused. I missed my TFO.