hNt,

I use the Scotty rod holders and I use two of them because I take two rods out with me, one for dry flies and one for streamers. The Scotty rod holder has two straps and they fit tightly around the pontoons. I only use my pontoon on the lakes. On the left side I aim the Scotty so the rod is sticking out over the lake to the left at about a 45 degree angle and I have it mounted far enough forward on the pontoon that it does not disturb my rowing. This is always the rod I am not fishing with. The other rod holder I again have it mounted far enough forward on right side pontoon that it does not disturb my rowing. With the Scotty you can adjust it so the rod is aimed directly behind the pontoon boat and level with the water if you want to troll around a bit. I have seen guys mount their rod holders so the rod sticks out the back, which to me means sooner or later they are going to ram the rod tip into something and break it.

Best bet is to sit in your pontoon boat when you have it at home and play around with the rod holder until yuo find a comfortable spot for it. If you do that out on the water you could end up dropping something overboard.

Have fun.

Larry ---sagefisher---