Joe fishing is supposed to be fun, so what ever method you choose as long as your having fun then more power ta ya

With that said though...I will say this because I've had somewhat of the same conversation with some "spin fishing only" type friends (yeah i have spin friends lol) and one thing they say to me is about how expensive fly fishing is. My reply to them is this....Fly fishing doesn't have to be anymore expensive than spin fishing unless you personally want it to be. It's just like any other type of fishing out there where you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. Perfect example ....

Diawa Steez Spin rod at Bass Pro shops- $449
Shimano Stella reel at Bass Pro Shops -$599
Bass boat...Uhg, we all know how much a "bass boat" costs lol

Anyway my point is...a $500 rod, $500 reel, or $500 "anything" wont catch you more or bigger fish no matter if its fly or spin gear.

So just follow your heart and do what you feel personally give you more enjoyment. If sitting in a boat with a spin rod and bait does it for ya, cool. If wading a stream casting a fly does it for ya still, then again, cool. Just do what makes you happy is all I'm sayin. Whatever you do don't drop off the radar though

Steve