Thread: IMPROVING YOUR FLY CASTING - Readers Cast (Steven McGarthwaite - June 7, 2010

Threaded View

I have no problem with charging for the book, that what pays the printing costs, and I am sure that any profits will be rolled back into your organization to help cover operation costs.

I never said that a person does not need lessons to learn how to cast. I have taken lessons all my life for tennis, golf, baseball, hockey. What I originally meant, is that all the lessons in the world will not get you to where you want to be, if the match-up between the equipment and your hand is not correct. It is like wearing shoes that are too large, or too small. As for me my left foot is a size 11-1/2, while my right foot is a size 10. All of my life I have had to buy two sets of shoes to get one pair that fit.

My handle grips on my fly rods are a cigar shape with a half well to the rear. The diameter is 1-1/8 inch diameter. That is my hand grip shape for my fly rods, yours will be completely your hand grip size and shape, no two hand grip size and shape are alike.

One size does not fit all, each individual is different in multiple ways, from everyone else! I am not a fan of Traditions, where the only reason is that they have alway done it that way. Tradition does not help, those who are being poorly service by tradition, when a little bit of thought process, would help the individual achieve what they desire.

As a Senior Instructor in the U.S. Army, I could not expect all of my students to full understand the same training outline from the lesson plan. I had to adapt the lesson plan so those who did not understand the concept of the training, by various method (some very unorthodox) succeed.

My task was to find a way to transfer what I was attempting to share, so the individual could understand! Otherwise it was all talk and no showing of improvement.

PS: Ted Williams mother was "Spanish-Mexican" and Ted grew-up in San Diego, living with his mother at her parents house. So not only is Ted Williams one of the greatest baseball players to play major league baseball, his probably the greatest major league baseball player with "Spanish-Mexican" ancestry!

If your muscles and tendons are taunt during the cast, you lose speed of motion in the fly rod and fly line, you also have less control of the cast with the starting and stopping. You also lose the feel of the fly line and the fly rod movements during the cast.

Your hand should only light hold the fly rod, enough to have full control, during the cast. Too tight of a grip causes loss of motion and control.
    As a baseball pitcher, I learned early on the tighter that I gripped the ball, the worse my pitching became. Most are taught in fly fishing to cast with their arm movement only. While in baseball the arm is mostly for directional control, the energy of the throw comes through the body movement during the throw (rocking backward then forward). Same applies to fly fishing, rocking the body, with one ahead of the other to supply the energy of the cast and the arm motion controlling the direction of the cast. At no time should need to have a death grip on the fly rod while cast...

While in golf lessons it is completely different, the body remains stationary, with body weight resting on the back foot, during the back swing, and only during the front swing does the body mass shift to the front foot. The speed of the back swing is the same as the forward swing. To many do a slower back swing and a fast forward swing, and there lays the problem of control.

I can easily cast 50 to 60 feet without straining, or using single or double overhauls... because my fly rod handle fits my hand, and my body motion during the cast supplies the force (energy) to give my cast the distance...
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 06-09-2010 at 04:38 PM.