Mark,
To your original question, I haven't seen anyone with a visible firearm in the parks yet. My little .357 S&W is tucked securely out of sight and if all goes as planned, that's where it will stay. I have no desire to shoot anyone nor do I have a desire to shoot some critter.

In the years I've been carrying, there have really only been 2 times when I was glad I had it with me. One was a domestic issue at a gas station where a guy was slapping his wife around and she was doing a pretty good job of slapping him back. I called the police and they drove off. Those issues can get out of hand really fast and my family was just there pumping some gas in the car. The other was an idiot had a pit bull at a lake where I was fishing and the mutt charged me. The dog was not on a leash and the owner got the dog before it got too close. Had the dog got close enough to be a thread, yes, I would have stopped the attack in a very final way.

But those are honestly the only 2 times when I have had cause to be happy I had a firearm with me and I sure do hope that good streak continues.

Anyone who would consider using a firearm (knife, baseball bat, or any other weapon) for anything other than to protect their own lives of the life of a loved one really needs to examine what they are trying to prove or do. I'm not a huge fan of open carry in crowded places. Hunting, out in the wilderness fishing or camping, sure, no problem and I frequently carry a .44 or a .45 in that type of setting, but in a national park or in a public place, nope, deep concealment is the best way to go if one desires to have a firearm with them.

Others may disagree and that is also cool with me. I just don't think it's one of those topics worth a disagreement over. From your posts, I think you and I are on the same page.

Jeff