Thread: I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE - Neil - May 24, 2010

Threaded View

Neil,

You have "hit the nail on the head" and I could not agree with you more. I run across so many new people to fly fishing and they are not interested in learning anything or trying to learn anything on their own. They just want to know what rod, what reel, what line and what fly are you using to catch your fish and what they never seem to understand is that all that equipment is just that, equipment. This equipment does not catch fish. The person who knows how to read the water, the person who knows where his fly is in the water, the person who knows how to impart action to his fly and the person who has "become one" with his surroundings is the person who catches the fish.

Technology has its place and is important, but, not in my fly fishing. I want to learn on my own and that way it is in my memory where it cannot be "deleted" or forgotten. When I am fly fishing, I want to be as close to Mother Nature as I can get. Nothing bothers me more than to be enjoying the river and the peace and quiet and then hear a cell phone ringing somewhere. I guess at age 62, I do not need all the new tech toys to entertain me. I can do that on my own. I guess that is why I fish by myself a lot unless I find someone who enjoys the experience the way I do and then it is fun to share it.

Another great article, Neil. Keep them coming....
    Last edited by WarrenP; 05-25-2010 at 04:03 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.