Thread: Flytying beyond fishing requirements

Threaded View

Default Why I tie flies!

I started fly tying, shortly after I took up fly fishing, back in 1995. I found fly tying a challenging pastime, that over time came to learning how to master the various techniques to dressing hooks. It is something I do for making my own flies for fishing, and also creating patterns that are not available commercially.

I took my training from my mentor Al Campbell and his fly tying series on FAOL, he also became my friend. There is a comradeship, a band of brothers sharing with each other their enjoyment of life.

I mostly dress hooks for my own pleasure, it is a way for me to chill-out, and have some quite time. It is a hobby, my fly room is a sanctuary where, I can escape to for some peace and serenity.

Fly tying is just a small part of fly fishing, as is fly rod building, building furled leaders. Fly Fishing is more than catching fish, it has more to do with being at peace with yourself, and taking time to reflex on your place in the whole larger scheme of life.

Fly Anglers OnLine, is a unique place where those of like minds, can meet and converse on thing they have in common. To meet strangers, who shortly become life-long friends sharing a common pastime.

Fly Fishing and all its various venues, give you a quiet place to reflex on life. ~Parnelli

Chartered Member of "Friends of FAOL"
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 05-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.