+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SA GPX WFF issue

Default SA GPX WFF issue

I bought a new 4 wt SA line off ebay on 3/26 and I have fished with it about 6 times and it has a cut, crack right above the welded loop. First time I have had any prob with SA lines. It was a close out, last year's model, beige color. Might have been as old as Noah, for all I know. So I cut off the old loop and tied a new one with fly tying thread and head cement. If I lose a nice fish I will be sad. I could just tie a nail knot but (wah) I like the loop.

Had the exact same problem with a SA GPX with the welded loop. Sent it in and SA replaced it no questions asked. Sadly this was the second SA GPX line I have had the exact same thing happen to, though SA replaced both lines it was an inconvenience. It certainly seems to be an issue with the welded loop on these lines as like you the one I had to replace most recently it had been fished maybe 4 times.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Thanks Brian,
    I called SA and I may send it back, its a 4 week turn around. My "fix" seemed to do Ok today, the loop sticks some in the guides on the out cast. I notice my leader seemed to "bite" into the loop, hopefully not a weak spot.

I think that your "biting" issue may be the problem with welded loops. It only makes sense - you are probably catching too many big fish and pulling on that connection, so don't catch so many and you'll be fine.

lol
    Actually I went to my favorite spring creek hoping for some dry fly action and the water was very discolored, so I ended up stripping some streamers and caught and released 9 bows, the largest about 19 inches. So I guess some problems are better to have than others

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    I notice my leader seemed to "bite" into the loop, hopefully not a weak spot.
    pillcaster ....
    I think that the following could help you with this problem. I have tried it and it works like a charm.
    http://www.bhptackle.com/pages.php?pageid=14
    Hope this helps,
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Cool - thanks dickm, ill try that

+ Reply to Thread