One thing I noticed in all of this.

The folks touting the ban on felt are admitting that the other types of boots also carry the invasives, just not as much. They also note that the felt is difficult or maybe even impossible to decomtaminate.

But what happens if someone wearing non felt wders doesn't bother to clean them? Just clean, not even 'decontaminate'?

From everything I've read, it only takes a very small amount of this stuff to 'infest' a waterway.

So, felt can cause it. An angler who doesn't clean their gear, felt or non felt, can cause it. A hiker that walks through the water can cause it. So can a horse or dog.

I'd say with complete certainty that the likelyhood of at least one angler with non felt wading boots not cleaning or decontaminating them between watersheds is 100%. Probably hundreds of anglers.

No one will even suggest to the hiking enthusiast that he or she should decontaminate their boots. The only ones who will probably be sure to get cleaned between outings at different watersheds are the horses and dogs, as most folks take better care of their animals than they do of their gear.

It's going to spread. Felt ban won't stop it. Might slow it down. Don't really know that, though. Is all of this worth it? Why not. Gives folks something to focus on that's 'easy' and keeps them from feeling like they have no control.

Plus it's a big financial gain for the boot companies. That's not really a bad thing. I'd like to believe that that part is an 'unintneded consequence'. I have, at times, been accused of being naieve though....

Still will wear my felt boots where they are allowed. I like them.

Buddy