I fly-fished a local pond last night after dark...from 8:30pm-10:45pm.
I began by using the Crappie Candy, which had worked well at this pond a few days ago during the daytime. Well...no takers.

After about 20 minutes, I switched to a yellow Rick Z's Boa Yarn Leech, which I had tied with beadchain eyes for a bit of weight. The boa yarn material seems to push a lot of water, and has worked phenomenally for me on my nighttime fishing excursions. I'd never fished it with beadchain eyes before, though. I caught 2 crappies on this pattern, fishing the same area I'd just fished with the Crappie Candy.

Knowing crappies tend to move higher in the water column and closer to shore around sunset, I wondered if I was fishing too deep. So, I switched to an unweighted yellow Boa Yarn Leech. I caught another crappie from the area I was working.

It was a breezy night, so some spots on this pond that typically produce for me were a lot of work to fish last night...so I hit them, but didn't spend a lot of time there. I picked up a couple more crappies in a wind-blown corner close to shore.

Next, I moved to an area that really doesn't normally produce well. It was near the wind-blown end of the pond, but it was behind a point of land, so slightly sheltered from the wind & waves. I found a spot about the size of a bathtub where I managed to pluck 10 more crappies. They were really aggressive if I brought the fly just exactly through the right area. If I got outside of that area...nothing.

So, although it started of really slow, I was happy with 15 crappies for the first nighttime fly-fishing excursion of 2010!

Sorry...no pictures! )