I think sponsors should be allowed to have their link in their signature along with an icon or foot note that shows they are legit. And non-sponsors should not be allowed to do it.
I want to become a sponsor soon. But to pay the price, only to have a button with my link added to a single page with everyone else's links is a drawback. It's not enough. Same goes for the random sponsor buttons at the top of the thread pages. I want a chance to say 'hey, I've got a sale on Mustad Signature hooks'. That small bit, instead of a button or logo, would be worth it, even if it only popped up at random. It would give members a reason to click, and give me a reason to fork up the dough.

Sponsors should get link privileges in their signatures. I was recently scolded for violating this policy, and I do not wish to 'play but not pay' as I was told.
I DO THINK if someone DOES PAY, they should be allowed to 'PLAY'. The same way TV sponsors get to run commercials, not just have their logo somewhere on a page where people rarely go. (When's the last time any of us have visited the sponsor page? Once for me, right after I was corrected for breaking the rules)

If sponsors had a way to let members know about their business, and especially sales or promotions, I think this would result in more sponsors and thereby benefit EVERYONE especially those who work hard to keep FAOL going. And generate more money to pay the bills.

Maybe a Sponsor-Only category, where only paying sponsors could post threads.

If they do something like that, I'm going to be a sponsor MUCH SOONER.

I would rather let FAOL members have first dibs on my close-outs, discounts etc. than non-FAOL members, since I'm going to sell the stuff anyways, it would be nice to support the members FIRST.

This was my intention when I was busted. To help out and fill a need (yeah I want to make money too, but I honestly like to help others with fly fishing & tying. I've given away about as many flies as I've sold.)

So how about a compromise? A sort of 'sweat equity' so to speak.

If someone DOES contribute their articles, or time or any other resources, maybe they could get a small DISCOUNT on sponsorship (say a few dollars per article, etc.) This would encourage sponsors to be MORE ACTIVE in FAOL. Again benefiting EVERYONE.

What would be wrong with that?

That would also get me to sign on sooner.

Why shouldn't FAOL members be given a way to help each other out and pay their dues?

I say give Steve a discount on sponsorship and give something back to someone who has been so kind and loyal to others. Show him we appreciate his input. There's no shame in changing the rules if it helps everyone.

I'd be willing to donate a small amount towards his sponsorship myself, if it will bring peace to the issue, and improve the quality of this great site. (I'd be sponsoring a sponsor I guess)

Membership should have it's privileges.

bill