Like Fly Chucker, I tie with the vise fairly low. I the only time I have the vise jaws higher than the base of my sternum is when I am stacking or spinning deer hair bugs. I had shoulder and neck pain when tying. A commercial tyer suggested I drop the vise lower. Since then I have no pain in the should or neck when tying.

I use a Dyna King adjustable right angle vise extension. This works with any vise with a standard diameter shaft. I attach the vise clamp to the table upside down and insert the shaft of the extension up into the clamp. Basically, it is mounted upside down from what is shown on the Dyna King website. The extension arm is swung out away from the table and vise shaft is held by the extension arm far enough away from the table that I have no problem wrapping thread and materials. This works better with a rotary vise I think but will work with any vise. This extension is the best $39 I have ever invested in my tying. I also make sure I sit with my back straight. My head is bowed slightly forward so I can look down better. My arms are usually resting on the arm rests of my office chair.

The position I use may not work for everyone, but the right angle adjustable vise extension allows for a much greater range of vise position, both vertically and horizontally.