Ron brings up a good point.

If you don't use some kind of floatant on your spun hair bugs, eventually they will absorb water.

They won't usually sink, the materials are still positively bouyant enough to float the hook if all you do every few casts is squeeze the water out of it with your fingers.

They will behave differently on the water. Some bass fishermen really like that action. The bug will make a completely different sound, more of a sloosh than a pop, and at times it can be deadly. Late evening largemouth seem to really like it.

You have to decide for yourself. What I do is waterproof all of mine so they float the same from first cast to last. I have other topwater flies that will give me a similar action to a waterlogged hair bug.

You can just treat some of them, and leave some untreated. If you decide to do this, make sure to tie in a tell so that you'll know which is which on the water.

No one topwater fly will work for bass under all conditions. That's part of what makes it fun. You want foam bodies, poppers, sliders, balsa bodies, hair bodies, frogs, ball heads, different tails, things like gurglers and crease flies. All are effecitive fished properly under the right conditions.

Tying a few, or a few dozens, of each of these will also use up all that wasteful and expensive spare time we all have so much of .

Buddy