Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
I've been looking at and interested in the Ovation Applause. Isn't it true that you can reduce the buzz on the frets by using flat wound strings instead of round wound? Also less byproduct noise when moving up and down the frets.
Is there any experience out there with the Ovation Applause? Does it have an adjustable bridge?
I have one of the older US made Ovations that my dad bought for me when I graduated from high school. I still get it out and play it although I have guitars I like better and that sound better.

There's nothing wrong with an Ovation guitar. Most of them play quite well and they sound great through an amp or a PA system. They are great camping guitars, rock solid necks and the (whatever it's made from) backs are nearly indestructable. Mine has been beat around, drug on countless camping trips tossed in the back of a car and hauled all over the country and it still looks and plays like it did when new.

Also, as oldfart said, older guitars frequently sound better than their newer counterparts. The new ones will get that tone with time but if the guitar has been well cared for and played a lot, it will quite frequently sound better.

I picked up a Taylor 314 for our youth minister last summer that was about 5 or 6 years old. It belonged to a friend who gigged with it for the entire time he owned it. It has a couple battle scars from boom stands, music stands, and other mishaps that happen on the road, but it was well cared for. He sold it to me cheap and it's one of the nicest sounding Taylors I've ever played.

Now, if you really want to have some fun, play a late 1930's to early 1940's Martin D-28 or D-18. You'll be ruined for life. They are like a fine 'boo rod only better. Unfortunately, they cannot be had cheap.

About 9 years ago, I had the opportunity to pick up a 1937 D-18 for $15,000 but knew my wife would kill me for going into debt for a guitar. I could sell that same guitar today easily for double the asking price back then.

That is my "one that got away" story.

Jeff