+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wildlife Encounters

Cool Can't resist

Because I know he would tell the story if he were here. We were elk hunting with bow on the Southern border of Yellowstone Park, at about 9,000 ft. (Locals will know where that is.) The trip in on horse had been hairy, crossing a big talus slide, and finally setting up camp. We had a primitive latrine using a nice log as a 'commode,' Castwell was sitting there, answering natures call when he heard a pack of coyotes. They seemed to be getting closer. And closer. In fact the howling pack split and ran past him on either end of the log. He was scared ......less.
    But lived to tell the story of course.

Not FFing, but I was going hunting with my dad in Morro Bay, CA. We were launching the boat, and there was a loon swimming around, giving its mournful call.

My dad carried the boat backwards into the water, and the loon took offense. It came over and started attacking my dad's legs. they have BIG bills. Dad kinda shooed the batty bird away, but it keep coming back.

Finally, dad reared back, and in knee deep water, kicks the loon about 5 feet. It does a complete back flip and then uprights itself. It continued to swim around, calling and calling, but it never came closer.

After the day's hunt, dad had 3 bruises on his leg around his knees.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Are you kidding me? No snakes any more since I moved from Idaho but now ... bears in the water, on the shore, in your camp on the gravel bar on the river, biting your cooler, biting your stove, throwing your pots around. Moose everywhere, and when you're in your float tube loons swimming through your legs and when they hear the splashing they take pretty good size rainbows and swallow them right off your fly. We reel up when they come close so we don't hook a fish and inadvertently a loon too. It's very creepy to have a loon on your line.

+ Reply to Thread