+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jack Gartside Has Passed:

I would have loved to fish with Jack, but that never happened.
    I did tie with him once however. It was just the two of us at first and he didn't know me from Adam.
    He couldn't have been more warm and friendly and he treated me like a peer.
    I'm so glad I got the chance to meet and spend time with him.
    He truly was one of the good ones
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Sorry to hear of his passing, his site has always been one of my fav's guess I better get printing in case they take it down. My condolences to his family.

Tight Lines Jack

Fatman

I don't know him personelly, but from all the comments I am sure I have been influenced by his work some time in my fly fishing adventures, I wiil add my prayers for his family and for those that know him...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

R.I.P. Jack:

Jack was "Cool". I got to meet Jack at a tying show out in California a few years back. He was very happy sharing his knowledge. I took this picture of him at his table. I also was on his mailing list and for those that were too: you know how much info he purveyed through those missives. I have his "Secrets" book & a few of his hand tied flies and use them as patterns for making my own versions. Jack was a "Cool Dude".

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I had the pleasure of hosting Jack as a celebrity fly tier at our FF Club, and got to spend a few hours with him having dinner and drinks. A real character, and truly a funny guy. Who could not laugh with a guy who fished from an inflatable giraffe, and made flies out of stained ciggy butt filters? Yes, he will be missed, but now the angels have another fly tier to help their game on the trout streams of heaven.
    I met his at the CMNH trout club a while back. he was insanely hilarious.

Never met him, but I'll remember him every time a fat bass crashes a gurgler on the local pond.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I taught my two sons to flyfish on a local stocker creek running through a neighborhood park and used a trusty Gartside Soft-Hackle streamer; we caught a lot of fish on that one fly. Still a wonderful fish-catcher. He will be missed.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread