+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Info on North Georgia

Default Need Info on North Georgia

Hi all,

Me and a buddy will be traveling to North Georgia on April 21 through April 24. We will be staying at the Unicoi State Park for a little Mountain Biking and Fishing.

Does anyone have any info they can share on fishing that area, specifically the Smith Creek DH section below the damn of the lake? Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Also, how is the warmwater fishing in the lake at the park?

Thanks
    Alan.

------------------
    Alan Grant

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

You should give these guys a call -- very knowledgeable bunch.

[url=http://www.unicoioutfitters.com/:7c312]http://www.unicoioutfitters.com/[/url:7c312]

I was there a while back tooling around, the Smith was really low and no one was doing well. Don't expect to haul a monster out of that little stream.

Unicoi has a set-up where you can catch corn-fed trout from the Chattahoocheee near the shop or at "Frog Hollow" on the Chestatee. It costs about $90 for a half day on the hooch, Frog Hollow is more expensive and you can only fish there if guided.

Georgia trout are generally small. If they are really big, it is almost certain that they are being fed. Brigadoon, Blackhwak, etc. on the Soquee, they are all fed fish. Unicoi's are just cheaper.

I am a multigenerational, native Georgian, and have relatives up north. I fished this place inside and out, so don't let an Atlanta transplant snowjob you on how great trout fishing here is. Georgia is no mecca, it is only fair compared nationally, but that is still better than having no trout. There is a reason that we natives go to NM, CO, AK, etc.

If you're comfortable throwing a nymph rig, you can catch fish at Smith's. Good flies are eggs, Y2Ks, bright green copper johns, and even basic nymphs like princes and hare's ears. The holding water is pretty obvious, and getting the fly down to bottom is key, so use some weight.

The season starts here the last Sat. in March, so you can hit any of the streams in the area, including the upper Chattahoochee in the WMA, and the upper section of Smith's above the lake. Also, Duke's Creek is a managed stream very near Unicoi. This stream does hold some large fish, but only a limited number of fisherman are allowed on each open day, which are Weds., Sat., and Sun. You need to call Smithgall Woods to make a reservation, but it's free and very scenic. Unicoi Outfitters in Helen is a top flight fly shop and can help out with advise on where to fish and what to use. Check out the message board at [url=http://www.ngto.org:6c41e]www.ngto.org[/url:6c41e] for more info as your trip nears. BTW, here's Smith's 'bow from last month-

BHP

[This message has been edited by BHP (edited 01 March 2005).]

May 2005 issue of FF has the tri-state area rivers featured.

Yeah, Georgia really doesn't have any streams that we can really "brag" on, but there are some good size trout in those streams. I've never fished Smith creek but have fished the small creeks in Unicoi itself...try glow bugs with a hare ear nymph or pheasant tail trailing it, or an elk hair caddies or a san juan worm. The main stretch of the hooch going through the town is a good stream for stockers and some wild ones. Anything bright colored like the y2k bug and glow bugs work really well...If you're up for a 30 minute drive, the 1/4 mile public stretch of the Soque is pretty good...I caught a nice 11 lb' there last year ...But once again, most of those are fed by the private property owners upstream and downstream but it usually will have lots of fishing pressure there but if you get up early enough, you may get lucky. Use the glow bug and hare's ear combo here again.

There are a number of streams that are an hour driving distance from Helen, But you'll still catch the same size stocker trout pretty much wherever you go. If your looking at getting some mondo ones, Smith Creek, Soque, Chattahoochee, and streams in NC are your best bet, but if you're looking for something to bite, the stream running through the state park is good for stocker size trout.

Here are some pix of fish from the Soque...I had to keep the 11 lb'er...felt sorry for it though...nymphs will do it for you.

I can only speak of the hooch at the Jones Bridge area of the CRNRA. I was of course a half hour late, but reports from a week ago Sat. morning were a couple of different people coming off the river saying they each had 12 to 18 fish that morning. Beautiful water. Could even have been waded once the water came up with only one generator online. Water came up about a foot or so. Also heard a lot about the other waters you have mentioned. Bottom line is there is a lot of good Trout water in North Ga. Have a blast.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

+ Reply to Thread