Quote Originally Posted by kengore View Post
You might need to be a little more specific about the intended uses for a definitive answer, but here are some of my observations...

kayak
- need roof rack for transport, include this in cost analysis, those thule racks aren't cheap
- zero assembly time, gotta love that
- it's a wet ride, you will be sitting in water much of the time
- 90 degree sitting position is uncomfortable for some folks w/ back problems
- paddle and fly rod each need two hands, cannot to fish and steer at same time
- storage space is limited on some models, where do I put the cooler?
- stable but it is still possible to flip them, expensive ones can be fitted w/ outriggers for stand up casting
- very efficiant propulsion, good for long distances or upstream/upwind travel, silent and stealthy
- travel forward, backward and turn on a dime no problem, as long as both hands are free
- might want a paddle leash or spare break down paddle, they don't go far w/o one.
- need full size storage space for off season, 12-16 feet takes up a lot of room
- modern roto molded plastic hulls are almost indistructable, pass boat the along to your grand kids
Have to disagree on several of the above points:

You don't always need a roof rack. Many kayaks can be placed in the bed of a pickup truck. Also, existing "luggage racks" that come on most SUVs are sufficient for most sit on-top kayaks.

My kayaks aren't wet at all. I have the Native Ultimate 14.5. Very dry ride.

My kayak comes with the best set in the business -- hence, no sore butt or back. Plus, you can sit side-saddle. I even stand up in mine.

doubt you could flip my kayak.

Storage is plentiful in my kayak. I can carry a 36-quart cooler in the bow.

As far as storage goes, I have a system in which they're stored on their sides on the wall of my garage. No problem.