I don't have the DVD, but I can certainly recommend the book. I've tied all the 'demo' flies they show in the book using the 'rotary' techniques as they show them.

But that's not all I've gotten from the book. Frankly, most of the patterns they tie don't apply to my fishing, or better to say I have other patterns that fit the same niches that I like better.

It's the 'techniques' they show, and their application and expansion to not just other pattern's but other materials that has really changed how I tie flies now.

For example:

I can tie a 'bugger with only tieing things down twice, once to tie it all to the hook (all at once) and once to tie it off, again all at once. There's just a spin of the vise handle in between. Because you are turning the vise, not moving the materials, you can leave the materials attached to their respective holders/bags/spools/bobbins, whatever. No cutting before you tie, thus no wastage from 'trimming' stuff.

Spinning hair by turning the vise is not only faster, it's more easily controlled and you get a more even distribution of the hair. You also don't 'lose wraps' or add any unneeded ones with this method (so you don't trap any hair with a 'lock down' wrap). Spinning bass bugs is time consumming, and it's the 'spinning' part that takes the most of that time...rotary speeds this part up AND makes it easier for those just learning the skill to learn to do it easier.

Spinning peacock herl around the thread to 'stengthen' the weak hearl is a breeze with a rotary vise (I use a LOT of herl in my flies). You get a nice even thick or thin rope (your choice), and it doesn't unwind or tighten any once you start to wrap it. Once you figure it out, you can make the herl 'rope' with the thread, wrap it into place, and tie it down without stopping the vise from turning.

AND, you can spin multiple materials, like herl, chenille and a hackle feather all together. Buggy 'nymph yarn' spun with herl...you can add wire..any kind of flash material spun with a dubbed loop, herl, chenille, etc...You can make up any combinations you choose, fast, and get strong, neat, properly porportioned bodies in seconds.

I tie a lot of bass bugs, and use a hackle collar at the rear of the body on most of them. The rotary feature makes wrapping hackle for ANY type of fly, bass bug collar, dry fly hackle, wet fly, whatever, simple and easy. No worries about adding twist, you can see right where each wrap is going, and you can do it right AND fast.

These are just some of the things I've found I use almost every day with my rotary vise.

And I'm still finding new things it will do....

Buddy

p.s; AND, if you use hot glue or 5 minute epoxy, a rotary vise will simplify your chores and give you more consistent results with less effort...BS