+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Orvis does it again

Hey Goddess!

You'll be happy to know that I am now the proud owner of an Orvis fly rod!!!!

Nope, it's not the latest, greatest model that floats on air, it's a 1949 7'6" DT6 impregnated bamboo model. It's really a nice rod!

I went fishin yesterday with a couple of Winston rods. They weren't the latest greatest boron rods. They were old IM6 rods, one of them from the San Francisco days. The 8'6" two piece 7 weight seemed like a very nice rod, but I didn't find any water deep enough or fish willing enough to really test it. I finished the day by going downstream to some bigger water. I used a 9' two piece 9 weight rod with a Teeny TS-350 line on it. I was fishing for coho, but there were also rainbows, grayling, and char in the water. While we were fishing a very large fished jumped out of the water a couple of times. The guy fishing to my left who was closest to the fish said it was a rainbow. If it was a rainbow it was a big one at least 30 inches long. I think more likely it was a late arriving coho.

The nine weight IM6 was unbelievable. I'm not much of a long distance caster, but this rod would shoot line like a rocket launcher. I had most of the 100 line out with little backcast room. I've used this same line on my Loomis Crosscurrent GLX nine weight and a Winston boron nine weight and neither of those rods cast it as well as the old Winston IM6. The next time I head to salt water looking for coho I'll be using this rod instead of the newer rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Grayling View Post
    Hey Goddess!

You'll be happy to know that I am now the proud owner of an Orvis fly rod!!!!

Nope, it's not the latest, greatest model that floats on air, it's a 1949 7'6" DT6 impregnated bamboo model. It's really a nice rod!

I went fishin yesterday with a couple of Winston rods. They weren't the latest greatest boron rods. They were old IM6 rods, one of them from the San Francisco days. The 8'6" two piece 7 weight seemed like a very nice rod, but I didn't find any water deep enough or fish willing enough to really test it. I finished the day by going downstream to some bigger water. I used a 9' two piece 9 weight rod with a Teeny TS-350 line on it. I was fishing for coho, but there were also rainbows, grayling, and char in the water. While we were fishing a very large fished jumped out of the water a couple of times. The guy fishing to my left who was closest to the fish said it was a rainbow. If it was a rainbow it was a big one at least 30 inches long. I think more likely it was a late arriving coho.

The nine weight IM6 was unbelievable. I'm not much of a long distance caster, but this rod would shoot line like a rocket launcher. I had most of the 100 line out with little backcast room. I've used this same line on my Loomis Crosscurrent GLX nine weight and a Winston boron nine weight and neither of those rods cast it as well as the old Winston IM6. The next time I head to salt water looking for coho I'll be using this rod instead of the newer rods.

You're KILLING ME!!!!! I take it. you are still in Alaska.

Yep, still in Alaska! But it's killing me. I'm towards the end of a three week vacation and I've been fishing almost every day of that time.

I'm not sure which is harder on my body, wading the streams or all the driving to get to and from the streams!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    If anyone wants to loan me their Ferrari for a year or five, I'll put this comment to the test. I'll report back here if it made me a better driver.

Oh by the way, fuel, insurnce, maintenance has to be included too, I can't be out too much money in the interest of research. I guess I could fund the tires I burn up. On second thought, you can pay for the tires too becasue I'll most likely smoke a set after a month or two.
    Jeff

Geez, and I was going to be a nice guy and GIVE YOU a brand new Ferrari, but wanting me to pay fuel, insurnce (sic), maintenance is just too much. Oh well, I guess i will just sell it and give the money to charity

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
    And even the majority of the world's top wine experts now openly admit than in the $10-60/bottle range, price is not indicative of taste. Taste is subjective. A good number of today's wine experts even extend this down to wines sub-$10. .
    It gets worse. There have been studies, tell someone a $200 wine is $20 and a $20 wine is $200, and the person will think the cheaper wine (but they think it is more expensive) "tastes better"

Joni,
    I for one am sorry this thread has morphed the way it has. I have 3 reels made by Orvis (one of which was made overseas) and I like all 3. Whoops, make that 3 of which were made overseas. I guess England is in that category too. If I had the $$$, I'd go buy and Orvis rod just for the heck of it.
    Thanks Joni, for your original post. And, thanks for your dedication to fly fishing.

Now let's go fishin' and forget all this blabber.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Surely ( don't EVER call me that) Orvis will be out of business within the next 200 years if they keep this stuff up.

Mark

Marco, you're killin' me.

+ Reply to Thread