Thread: wading boots

Threaded View

I always figured I could put on some heavier socks easier than dealing with pain or blisters.
    So I never was real fashion conscience about my wading boots, fit was paramount, even if it said 11 or 11.5 instead of something like a 10 or 10.5.
    Now days, shoe size is really crazy. Seems like the world market () can't get it right. And to me, that just sucks. Because it seems you can't just order them, you HAVE to try them on.
    So take a pair of thin cotton socks, and a pair of winter wool socks with you to anywhere you want to try on waders. Then find your personal comfort zone in the waders.
    Wool? Yes wool. Because wool will keep you warm when wet. That might save your life.
    Bear in mind you will be wading in cold or cool waters, but may be walking some distances to reach them.

Personally, I bought a pair of chest waders with what's called stocking feet. Reason being is I intended to use them with a float tube for waters where I can't, or don't want, to take my boat, and needed to be able to fit flippers to my feet.
    Now I'm wondering if that was a good idea, because I need to fit shoes to them for regular wading. And I think I need to get a pair of hip waders with boot feet for the creeks and streams I want to wade. Like I had at your age.
    Because the boot feet won't need gravel guards or aftermarket shoes.
    Won't be long, I think, before I'll not be entering the waters. A fisherman or fisherwoman needs to know their limitations so they don't become fish food, or a pollutant, which in my case is more the likely. Nobody eats skunk!

SAFETY:
    In any event, and whatever fits your needs where you might fish, be aware, be very aware, that if you fall they may make it very hard to rescue yourself. So consider life preserving measures, or at least think about the "What If's" to putting yourself into the moving waters you fish.
    So maybe, when they stop charging such ridiculous prices for them, you might consider one of those self inflating personal flotation devices. Or maybe one of these preserver fishing vests.
    Because I think it would be nice to see you grow to a ripe old age and carry on the tradition of fly fishing.
    Last edited by Sonny Edmonds; 08-15-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Because I'm dumb!
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.