+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scent on flies

Hybrid View

Fly goddess that shirt rocks!!!!!!!!
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Tournament fishermen/fisherwomen, guides, and most other lure fisherpersons have been using scents to enhance the illusion that what they are using is actually something to eat, rather than a manufactured piece of plastic, metal, rubber and feathers, for decades. I don't see why it should be any different for fly fishing.

It's the same old argument that goes on between traditional archery vs. compound bows....In-line muzzleloaders vs. traditional BP rifles, and on, and on.......Anytime someone uses something a bit innovative, the purists cry 'foul', even when thier fears are completely unfounded. Using scent on a fly will not decimate the trout population, pollute the waters, or destroy the fly fishing experience for anyone.

You could only use scent on streamers and crawfish patterns anyway, because there are no 'nympth', or 'bug' scents on the market. Scents are mostly used for bass, panfish and carp, so they have little impact on trout fishing in any case.

If you don't want to use scent, then don't. But if someone else wants to, I see no problem with it. It should be legal everywhere. There is already too much over-regulation on outdoor activities (especially here in Ga., and Tn.) as it is. This is a non-issue (IMHO).

From the WD-40 Website:

What does WD-40 contain?
    While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

So, we may never know why it attracts fish

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    Tournament fishermen/fisherwomen, guides, and most other lure fisherpersons have been using scents to enhance the illusion that what they are using is actually something to eat, rather than a manufactured piece of plastic, metal, rubber and feathers, for decades. I don't see why it should be any different for fly fishing.

It's the same old argument that goes on between traditional archery vs. compound bows....In-line muzzleloaders vs. traditional BP rifles, and on, and on.......Anytime someone uses something a bit innovative, the purists cry 'foul', even when thier fears are completely unfounded. Using scent on a fly will not decimate the trout population, pollute the waters, or destroy the fly fishing experience for anyone.

You could only use scent on streamers and crawfish patterns anyway, because there are no 'nympth', or 'bug' scents on the market. Scents are mostly used for bass, panfish and carp, so they have little impact on trout fishing in any case.

If you don't want to use scent, then don't. But if someone else wants to, I see no problem with it. It should be legal everywhere. There is already too much over-regulation on outdoor activities (especially here in Ga., and Tn.) as it is. This is a non-issue (IMHO).

GIG....Originally BAIT Fishermen...then they came out with scented plastics for convenience and I don't know....maybe even PETA.
    You talk Tournament uses them...I don't know. Maybe it is the edge to catch the fish
    FLY FISHING tournaments however is the RIGHT FLY, so adding scent is unacceptable.

YOU can certainly add scent to the fly if you want to. You can also use a bubble and a spinning rod to get that fly out there. Your choice.
    But, I got to ask...why are you Fly Fishing? Is it a stat-is. or Cool thing?
    Seems like if you use scent you are definitely in need to catch fish. Simply done. Either perfect the Fly Fishing or switch to bait. No sin in that.

MINE is I chose Fly Fishing BECAUSE, I don't have to add anything that stinks. Nice and simple. The only smell I hope to have at the end of the trip is a little fishy on the hands and that is it.

And I do very well at Fly Flinging. I do feel bad at times in that I was at a pond next to a spinner who was out for dinner and couldn't buy a fish. I guess I was ticking him off, because he ran back to his car and brought out a fly outfit. Had the traditional 4' untapered leader and cheap cracking line.
    I helped him by adding one of my Furled leaders, tippet and a fly, then showed him, in my opinion, the easiest way for a newbie to get the fly out.
    Point the tip of the rod down, shake it back and forth while feeding line, then roll cast it. He was excited as heck that it actually worked. He had caught two fish when I decided to leave. NO SCENT and he liked that idea.

holy guacamole

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Either perfect the Fly Fishing or switch to bait. ........And I do very well at Fly Flinging................ traditional 4' untapered leader and cheap cracking line. I helped him by adding one of my Furled leaders, tippet and a fly, then showed him, in my opinion, the easiest way for a newbie to get the fly out.Point the tip of the rod down, shake it back and forth while feeding line, then roll cast it. He was excited as heck that it actually worked. He had caught two fish when I decided to leave. NO SCENT and he liked that idea.
    Objectively, most would agree that learning good form and technique is paramount to successful fishing. But you're saying that he didn't have a chance with the gear he brought? If one has good form and technique one doesn't NEED an expensive graphite rod, machined reel with a fancy drag system, high tech synthetic tapered line, hand tied furled leader and fluorocarbon tippet to catch fish. At that point the use of scenting flies is not the real issue. Sure scent (IF used) should be considered a crutch, but so is EVERY piece of equipment between your hand and the fly, if you HAVE to have all that to catch fish. Any added scent is only the LAST crutch.

Scenting a fly is no more advantageous to catching a fish than using a specific action, high modulus, graphite rod, a specific taper line, or a specific length leader.

Regarding WD-40...a couple summers back two guys were fishing the local river here for catfish. Both were using nightcrawlers, and were maybe 40' apart on the bank. One guy was catching a lot of nice catfish, the other guy never had a bite. The difference? The successful guy was spraying his nightcrawlers with WD-40 before casting it into the river. I've never tried it, personally.

I'm pretty sure my flies are always covered with scent. MY scent. And I also often enjoy a cigar while fly-fishing. Seems to work pretty well, most of the time. Put the right fly in front of a hungry fish, and he'll usually hit it.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    Objectively, most would agree that learning good form and technique is paramount to successful fishing. But you're saying that he didn't have a chance with the gear he brought? If one has good form and technique one doesn't NEED an expensive graphite rod, machined reel with a fancy drag system, high tech synthetic tapered line, hand tied furled leader and fluorocarbon tippet to catch fish. At that point the use of scenting flies is not the real issue. Sure scent (IF used) should be considered a crutch, but so is EVERY piece of equipment between your hand and the fly, if you HAVE to have all that to catch fish. Any added scent is only the LAST crutch.

Scenting a fly is no more advantageous to catching a fish than using a specific action, high modulus, graphite rod, a specific taper line, or a specific length leader.
    NO CRUTCHES just the right tools...Crutches? I agree scent is.
    A good LEADER is a KEY ELEMENT....P.R.E.S.E.N.T.A.T.I.O.N. Not about the cost.
    I never said NOTHING about the cost of Rod, Reel, Line, Leader..BUT if you are going to FLY FISH..you need a GOOD LINE and LEADER and of course right fly. The rest is a personal choice.
    I don't care if it is a $10. WALMART special...with a good line it will cast.
    He DIDN"T have a chance with that 4' stump of a leader and the line was going to be an effort for a newbie to get it out!

And yes..a good line and leader are the key. It is about presentation!
    Just like those RAPALA's and the KASTMASTERS. It is going to cost.

Your last statement. I agree the MODULUS of a rod doesn't make any difference.

You take any rod of choice, add a GOOD line and leader, the right fly and learn to CAST...you will feel the same about scent as I do....NOT NEEDED! And Not Fly Fishing, but if you see nothing wrong with it go for it. I won't hate you or look down my nose at you, but in the same breath, I will also be aware that you are not FLY FISHING. You have created BAIT, just like POWER BAIT (not real food just scented goop) It is like sticking a hook on the end of a leader and attaching a WORM.....not fly fishing.

Please don't read more to this than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    But you're saying that he didn't have a chance with the gear he brought? If one has good form and technique one doesn't NEED an expensive graphite rod, machined reel with a fancy drag system, high tech synthetic tapered line, hand tied furled leader and fluorocarbon tippet to catch fish. At that point the use of scenting flies is not the real issue. Sure scent (IF used) should be considered a crutch, but so is EVERY piece of equipment between your hand and the fly, if you HAVE to have all that to catch fish. Any added scent is only the LAST crutch.

I must be reading something different than you are. She didn't say anything about an expensive graphite rod, machined reels with a fancy drag, high tech line. She said he was spincasting, went back to his vehicle and brought over a fly outfit. Which lines are your reading between? I see a furled leader, tippet and fly she gave him, and some help- but nothing you mentioned. For all we know, the guy had a Walmart rod and reel and line.
    Scenting is not fly fishing if you have to scent the fly to attract the fish. Just because you use a fly, it's (like in my previous post) the scent that's attracting the fish, not the fly.
    FWIW, I can catch fish with a cane, glass, or high modulus rod ( I do it all the time). It's not the rod, but the fisherperson.

I carry my fly's in my underwear.
    So they have a very different natural scent.

(Well, it does explain the holes in my shorts...)
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

+ Reply to Thread