Hi Raiderhunter,

I use the foam from flipflops. Some use a cut off rifle cartridge or a handgun cartridge, sharpening the edge, I usually use a laboratory cork borer simply because I have access to one, and it works great.

The best way to attach it to the hook, that I have found, it to start with spiral wrapping the hook from front to back (leave plenty of space between the wraps) with very coarse thread, and then back to the front and whip finish. Next cut a slot in the foam from front to back, about as deep as you want the hook to set in the foam.

Coat the threaded hook shank with gel type super glue, pinch the foam popper on the opposite side to open up the slot and set it on the hook. Pinch the foam down over the hook shank and hold it closed for a little bit. When you let it go, it will be firmly attached to the hook. (Be sure to keep a bit of thin plastic bag between your fingers and the foam when you pinch the foam shut over the hook so that your fingers don't get glued too.)

From that point, you can tie on feathers behind the body, or do what ever other finishing steps is desired.

Regards,

Gandolf