+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Au Sable

Default Au Sable

Well the 2009 2 week vacation to my cabin on the Au Sable is in the books for yet another year. This year the fishing was up & down to say the least due to weather, but still some good fish were caught. I was also joined by a few forum members for a few days so it was a good time no matter the fish bite or not.

Started out the first day doing some work on the cabin that needed to be done, but the 2nd day fish were on my mind and Paul (rifleriversteelheader) must have had fish on his mind as well because just as I was finishing some painting at the cabin in pulls Paul ready to go fishing with me. The wind was brutal for the first few days and Paul&I had to battle some strong gusts of wind but we did manage the first few fish of the trip on the fly.

Headed North!

One of mine from the first day out

And Paul with a scrappy one

The next day I decided to forgo the boat due to wind and not being able to anchor the boat in the 30+mph winds. So I went to a fav spot of mine and waded with the 10'7wt CTS with a EP fiber streamer and it paid off. First two fish that day were back to back 18" smallies.

First 18"er

And 5 mins later the 2nd 18"er

Later that evening I decided to take the cane rod and go after some bows up river in a section no one else fishes for trout because they think its to warm of water, but it does hold some trout mixed in the runs and riffles and this one took a huge size 8 caddis fly. Nothing like dry flies trout on a cane rod!

Next day was back to the warm water for some more smallies. Nothing huge that day but still had good action with some smallies up to 17" on the fly.

The main sticks for smallie action I was using. 10' 7wt CTS and 10'8" 5wt Rainshadow switch rod.

Next few days was more of the same, smallies falling to EP fiber streamers

About mid trip it was trout on my mind so I went to Mio to play with some bows on the 4wt. This guy kept and eye on me for most of the day (Osprey)

Lots of chunky 11-13" bows on nymphs and later in the evening, on dries.

Next day was spent back chasing smallies yet again. The fishing started to slow down due to some cold fronts moving through but still stayed decent enough to entice a few good fighter smallmouth.

Following day AlexC. joined me and it was good to see him and fish together again. The fishing was for sure tapering off due to the weather but Alex still managed a nice pike and a couple smallies.

A Bald Eagle flying over Alex and I as we fished

Giant Redheaded woodpecker on the Au Sable

Rob (Dallas) joined me for a day as well

Few random pics of I took. Some deer and some pics of Macinac, as well as a few others

6 point buck in velvet that I walked up on (its things like this that make me know I'm doing the right thing by saving money to move up to the Au Sable soon!)

Light house in Mackinac

Hydro foil going to Mackinac island

Mackinac Bridge

All in all it was yet another great trip North, and I look forward to finally hanging my hat in this part of the state ASAP. I think this photo is a fitting end to this report.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread