+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Blanks

Default HooK & Hackle perspective

Hi, Folks,

I bought a Jeep Liberty because I couldn't afford a Cherokee. It gets me to work, hauls my family and, of course, gets me to that stream to catch some trout. I offer several grades of bamboo blanks for the same reason.

Our low priced kits are simply to get folks started at a reasonable price. It's to have fun and give it a try. Winding a bamboo rod can take weeks if you're very particular or want to match traditional materials and methods, but not everyone wants to do this, has the time or cares. Some folks want to use silk thread and some nylon, some chrome guides, other Tich, some nickel silver seats and some aluminum and so on. Some folks will tell you there's a right way and a wrong way!! We don't agree. With a bit of time and care, you'll have a little piece of the fly fishing dream that you will enjoy for years!

As you might imagine, I've had many, many blanks in my hand. Nothing can compare to some of the great American builders, many of whom buy components from us. This is why we offer hand made domestic blanks too. I've spoken with many of these builders recently and they are, for the most part, encouraging our effort at H&H. They know that this will lead to more awareness using bamboo, and that will benefit all involved. We'll even put you in touch with folks who will teach you to hand make a blank if you're able ($$) to do so.

As for fishability, Betty has it right. I fish these imported blanks and they're a hoot! They fish nicely. Our experience shows that you can spend all of your time learning about it, or you can just do it. So we say, give it a try and see where it takes you! Maybe someday, you'll be inspired to hand make bamboo rods in your garage!

Please remember that nothing, nothing is a silver bullet when it comes to fly fishing. It's supposed to be fun . . . and that's it!! Be well!

Thanks,

Ron -- Hook & Hackle

Thanks, Ron. Well spoken. Thanks for your great site.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Ummm ... Ron? Does that mean you're not going to send me one of each to build and "product test" for this site??
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I can't say whether the imports are nice or not as I haven't seen one. I can tell you this, don't judge a bamboo blank until it's been built and cast. There is a beauty to a well constructed and nicely finished bamboo rod, but that is only part of the picture.

The significant difference between the plastic rods and bamboo is a graphite brand x 9ft 5wt casts the same as the brand x 9ft 5wt. A bamboo rod is totally different, and you need to find the rod that works for you. That rod is not just length and weight but taper, maker, and design. Cast em until one talks to you and you will see the magic. And, don't discount all bamboo rods after just casting a few.

Blog Entries

Cool Lets try to stay on Track with the original Post and question

The original was has anyone tried or used H&H's bamboo blanks?
    The question was are they willing to have a review done?

Sorry Ron. but there is no "secret society" or worldwide conspiracy to keep bamboo rods the exclusive property of the elite as you seem to think and are telling those with no knowledge or experience about the subject on your website. What there is is a lot of people who enjoy all aspects of owning, fishing and, for some such as myself, making bamboo rods, some of whom belong to various websites devoted to the subject and the Rodmaker's Listserv, all of which are open to any who care to join and there's no secret about any of them. I don't blame anyone for trying to sell their product, specially in times like these, but you might give your tactics a review.
    john

furthermore you can't do much better than buying a channer rod. top quality at a very reasonable price. were I in the market to buy a bamboo rod, he's the guy I'd be talking to.

Normand Guest

channer rod

website

Blog Entries

Default From A "Builders" Prospective

I've been "round the horn" on the topic of "making" blanks. I agree with Ron , that "making" a blank from scratch is or may not be for everyone. Also I dont know of anyone "making" their own "Graphite" blanks. If someone is offering a good quality bamboo blank at a decent price , I think it would inspire many to build on it and more to fish with it. I agree with John that there is no secret society , but I will say that for the most part bamboo folks are very opinionated! There also seems to be a crossover thinking about collecting ,mixed in with fishing when it comes to bamboo where lies some of the problems leading folks to believe that all bamboo folks are snobs. I personally dont buy this, and just feel they are extremley passionate about their sport.

All that being said, it is my belief that more folks could enjoy fishing bamboo if quality blanks were available at a decent price. I keep saying "quality", because who wants to build on a blank that isnt straight or shows glue lines, not to mention not being backed by the maker or the supplier? Ron, there are quite a few good builders and makers on this site as well as potential customers. I could be wrong ,but all I think we're asking is to let us examine your offerings and if they are good , I believe you'll more than profit from the review........Ed

I dare say that the many who think they would like to fish a boo are many times sadly disappointed with their action when growing up with these super hi modulus graphites. I strongly recommned that these potential boo owners either beg, steal or borrow a boo rod and fish it for a day. I have fished with boo for over 40 years and sometimes prefer a graphite. BTW, starter kits are fine too. I bought a kit in the 70's from a now defunct outfit in Springfield, Ohio (Angler's Pro Shop) and am still trying to track down the origin of the blank. One responder even rememberd the logo of the mail order house in detail and suggested that the blank may have been in England.

+ Reply to Thread