This is now my favorite annual trip... Watching lake trout slashing through schools of smolts is beyond impressive and they are not fussy. Grayling are simply THE fly fishing target. They are aggressive and often take dries from above... They literally jump and take them on the down stroke a large percentage of the time.

We make a lot of dedicated trips each year to the same places we have been going for decades and we have never failed to hit this one on the money for grayling and lakers. We have had more company than we wanted and the weather has sucked more than once, but the fishing is reliable.

I first fished the spot in the late '60s, so I have a little time there, but we used cut bait there when I was young. The salmon runs have been "enhanced" and the lake trout have responded by keying on the downbound smolts.

It is actually an easy-to-access spot, just requires a little special gear and an ability to sit a bit... Thinking about taking an old chicken plucker there just for fun next week.
art