+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My First

rookie,

They look great to me, and I'll bet they'll look just fine to many ole bucket mouths out there! Largemouths aren't that persnickety! It's more in the manner in which you manipulate these flies that count.

Being your first attempt, they are excellent! By the way, your photography is also to be commended.

bobbyg
    Last edited by bobbyg; 06-08-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

2. Default

Dude those are some great looking flies you bought those right, that cannot be a first attemped.

First time eh?
    Really nice ones.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Blog Entries

Smile great lookin' flys and good pics

Rookie......my question is did you fish them? They look great to me! If the fish like or liked 'em ....that's the real and only proof you need as to just how good or nice they are. Well done...........Ed

"I haven't done any since. I would welcome all criticism."

Yeah! I'd like to toss out a criticizm! Whatcha been doing for two years? Thumbs broke? Been in jail? Wife won't let ya tie? What????

Those are some great lookin' bugs, and you've been holding out on us for all that time?? Come on Rookie, don't try to sandbag us old timers.

Put some more up here!!
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Default Bugs

Well, the fish are the best judge. Why don't you send me about a dozen or so, and I'll try them on some pond bass.

Default Nice bugs

rookie - those are well tied. Yout technique is great. In only a couple of the flies the hook gap seems to be closed up by the hair, but that is about it.

A couple of things that I like to do on my deer hair bugs is to trim little indentations for the eyes and I like to coat the faces of the poppers and collar of the divers with Goop, this makes them a bit more durable when a bass decides to munch on them.

Here is a photo of one of a pencil popper I tied which has the indentations for the eyes and the "gooped" face.

They look great, way better than my first attempt at spinning deer hair. I saw Mike George giv a demonstration one time in our club meeting, and from that point forward I decided to leave it to the pros. I think yours would qualify.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Not much profit in this venture!

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    Thanks for the kind words 8T. How much would I make if I could tie one a day? Do I have enough years left for 15 doz?
    Hi again, Rookie,

Before you give up your day job, you may have to increase your tying speed just a tad. 8T

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sorry I took so long to get back. I just lost the hard drive and it took several days to get it back and everything reloaded. They couldn't retrieve any info from the drive but a great lady from IT says she can get it for me. Here's hoping.

Alberto, great advise. I am humbled by the quality of your popper.

8T, I have so much respect for the guys and gals that do this for a living. I would starve by lunch time. No chance of giving up my job voluntarily.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread