Sounds like you are reading a book written by someone that reads books and doesn't actually .............FISH.

I have a sister that has become somewhat of an ornithologist(bird watcher). She writes me and tells me that the behavior of a peregrine falcons she has been following and observing for about 10 years is nothing like what is written in the books she reads about them.

I'm a believer in DOING and not reading(except for 'the basics').

With that said I was fishing the other night for bluegill and crappie. It was late and about to get dark so instead of adding tippet to the very short leader I had left after the last time I fished, I tied a fly to the rather thick leader section that was left on the now about 4-5 ft of leader.
I caught fish 'hand over fist'......about 40 blue gill and 20 crappie(including a 14" crappie) in about 1.5 hours.

We were told in Optometry school(or tested over and over) how to diagnose and treat bacterial conjunctivitis like we'd see it every week. Well, in 20+ years of practice I have NEVER seen one case of true bacterial conjunctivitis!

Believe what you SEE and DO and forget these "experts" that write books.