Thread: Tenkara USA (Japaneese Flyfishing)

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post

pszy22,

Yes, you can come up with a less refined version from Cabela's, and before I got my first tenkara rod that is just what I did. I started with a telescopic fiberglass pole like the one in your link. It was heavy and the action was such that it just couldn't cast a light line (the rod tip kept wiggling at the end of the cast, killing the line's momentum). They also have a graphite one, which I thought was fine until I got a real tenkara rod. They're just not the same. They're also not nearly as strong. I hooked the biggest trout of my life on a Cabela's pole, with 6.4# test tippet, and it broke the rod (that's why I went to 6x). There's a post on the Tenkara USA forum from a guy who caught a carp on his brand new tenkara rod, with 8# test tippet, and ended up breaking the line as he tried to drag the carp onto the shore. Ever try to break 8# test line with a steady pull? That's a strong rod (it also comes with a lifetime warranty, which the Cabela's doesn't have). Look, I'm all for saving pennies, but this is case where you really do get what you pay for.

I have no financial interest in Tenkara USA. I just love tenkara fishing. I have a couple of the Tenkara USA rods and I think they are good value for the money. I got here on a long path of trial and error, because at the time nobody sold tenkara rods in the US. Now they do, and I am just trying to let people learn from my trials (and errors).
    CM,

I'm sure the rods are a vast improvement. I was just struck by the similarities to both the origins of fly fishing and good old cane pole fishing. The thing I found most interesting was the use of the furled line. Looks like a fun way to fish.

Seems like a great way to Czech nymph.
    Last edited by pszy22; 05-10-2009 at 01:14 AM.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/