I'm going to assume warm weather conditions when I respond to this question since cold weather almost always requires a VERY slow retrieve. When I'm fishing leech patterns early in the spring, I use slow steady 12 inch strips. A little later in the spring and in the summer, I switch to bait fish patterns and the most productive retrieve for me is a bit different than most folks. I make a very fast strip of about 14-16 inches and even move the tip of the rod very quickly about 1-2 feet. This rips the fly through the water about 3 feet. I try to stop the fly as close to cover as possible. Then as I retrieve the extra line, the fly stops and slowly sinks towards the bottom. I get 90+% of my takes immediately when the fly stops or when it is slowly sinking. This is usually sight fishing close to the bank or cover and many times the only indication that I have a take it that the fly suddenly disappears - like light a light bulb going out. Quite often you can't see the fish at all. You have to strike quickly when the bass sucks in the fly because they can/will spit it back out in the blink of an eye. I suspect that we all have MANY more strikes than we ever know, especially if you're fishing where you can't see your fly at all times This retrieval method of fishing been extremely productive for me over the years.

Jim Smith