I used to sport a tweed hat in my earliest days as a fly fisherman. Later after I abandoned it, I'd wear it when I toted along an F.E. Thomas wet fly rod in my collection with full intermediate wraps on those trips when not many others were looking. I still have the hat but found other options cooler, "cooler" and more practical.

I always wanted to do the full dress old time thing, maybe incorporating a derby or top hat along with a long tweed jacket but I never did. The stream-side reactions would be worth it to me for the same reason I WILL someday hit my favorite non-fly fishing only trout stream with my usual fishing attire and a SpongeBob SquarePants kiddie fishin' pole.

I still lust for a Hardy tackle bag but no matter how hard I try to justify using it; it can't beat the compartmentalized bags out there just made for the gadget collecting fly fisherman. It's not that I don't think it won't work just as good, it just isn't as convenient. I try and limit the majority of my hassles stream-side to figuring out the fish.

The tweed hat of my youth blocked the sun just fine but was hot as heck. Also, back then I didn't need to have Flip Focals attached to the brim. A baseball cap is the answer for me, my perfect hat for all seasons and I can easily pull a wool watch-cap over it in winter and the Flip Focals don't have to go anywhere.

A tweed jacket looks pretty darn cool but I can't even handle wearing a vest during the summer months so a regular jacket would only work for me a few months out of the year when a thermal sweatshirt is a better option for staying warm.

I guess the Old World style isn't for me except when I get nostalgic or want raise a few eyebrows.