And a selection of feathers used by fly-dresser?s ( you may obtain the original plates as part of a PDF file here;
http://www.archive.org/details/natur...flyi00westrich) but the photos here are a little better as I have originals, and I have also enhanced them somewhat). Some of these feathers are now unobtainable of course, but at least you can use the photos to help you find a substitute if desired.

FEATHERS FOR FLIES' WINGS.

1. This is from the wing of a cock pheasant, and is one of the feathers commonly used for a march brown ; it is an easy feather to manipulate.

2. No. 2 is also a secondary wing feather from the wing of a hen pheasant, and is used
for march browns, and also for sedges.

3. Is from the tail of a cock pheasant, and is very good in colour and speckle, but not
good to work, as the fibres do not marry well ; the aider wing is sometimes made from this feather.

4. Similar to No. i , but from a lighter coloured bird.

5. Tail feather from a hen pheasant, a useful sedge colour.

6. From an Orpington cock ; a fine cinnamon, and easy to work.

7. This and many other varieties of finely speckled feathers are obtained from the capercailzie.

8-9. Were taken from a game hen, and are fine in the speckle, and good working feathers ; alders and march browns are sometimes imitated with this feather.

10-11. Are Bittern feathers, which have a great variety of colour and marking ; no finer imitation can be found for some of the sedges, &c. The fibre is soft and silky and marries very well.

TL
MC