Wow! We get into all this scientific stuff about line in the air and all.

Arkriver,

I find it interesting your comment about "Tip Heavy". I once was really into building rods. I built a large amount of them specifically for tournament casting. I built one ? an 8 wt I wanted to use for the Bass Bug game and for Salt Water fishing. Well I was really just learning then and built the rod super durable (so I thought) three stripping guides all the guides over-sized.

It made a really nice looking rod that I could only cast for a few casts and my arm felt like it was going to fall off! I showed it to an Old-Timer who used to manage a Rod-Manufacturing plant in Japan. He commented how ?Tip Heavy? it was (?wears your arm/wrist out ?) and showed me how in the old days they would insert lead BB shot into the inside of the Pflueger Medalist reels to balance the old bamboo rods. He even pointed out how the reel was specifically designed for adding the extra weight to avoid a ?Tip Heavy? outfit.

Well I went home and added a ton of BB shot to the inside of my Medalist and tried it out. The rod cast beautifully except now it was too heavy. So I stripped off all the guides and completely re-built the rod. This time I ?Balanced? it based on the Old-Timers advice. I modified the guides and guide spacing until the rod and reel (and line) would balance on my forefinger and when I closed my hand I had a perfect grip.

When completed it was one of the best feeling rods I had ever cast! Now when I build my rods I always take balance into consideration. It may not follow all the scientific rules, but the rods I build feel and cast better than most.

** ALWAYS listen to the Old-Timers **

------------------
--------
Let No One Walk Alone
><))))'>------<'((((><
Bill