When I'm fishing with dries, I usually catch fewer fish than when I use nymphs or other wets. I often use a dry/dropper rig, and usually it's the dropper that gets the action. I also often see the baitfishers, particularly the worm and nightcrawler boys catching more fish than I am. Also, I've noticed that they are usually catching recently planted fish, or at least they are the size to think so, you know, the cookie cutter catchable size trout they often dump in there in huge numbers.
When I fish small lakes and ponds for bass/crappie/bluegill, I often get lots more action than the bait boys. Hereabouts, the bait fishermen use powerbait much of the time, and in the bass and crappie ponds I do much better with nymphs and jigs. That powerbait is such a mess, I can't imagine using it and gettin' that gunk all over myself. I'm pretty new at flyfishing stillwater, and am still learning, but I've had some rock 'em sock 'em mornings and evenings for crappie and bass the last two summers. Usually if there's baitfishermen nearby, they'll ask me what's up, and I fix 'em up with a casting bubble and a tapered leader, and get 'em started fishin' with flies, even if they don't have a fly rod. I always give them a handful of the flies or jigs that I'm using, or close to it. I always carry a couple a them little teardrop bubbles and some tapered leaders just for that reason. I've seen a couple of them back to the same place later with brand-new fly outfits....ModocDan