mantis,

Because it depends on what you can afford. I can afford and have high end vises. That is if you consider the Traveler, the Regal Bronze, the Universal and the Thompson 'A'(these last 2 were high end at the time). I can afford high end materials, tools, hooks(although I prefer the Mustads). The decisions I make regarding my vehicles are borne out of necessity, value and ability to afford ... not prefer. My decisions regarding rods, reels and some other fly fishing equipment are also based on those three qualifiers. I don't really know if I'd prefer a high end rod like Sage, T & T, etc. because they are either beyond my means or not worth the price so I tend not to bother looking. About 6-7 years ago I bought a Loomis GLX that may have been the highest priced rod at the time. Did not like it for my needs and sold it.

There are a lot of things I prefer over things that I have. However, I am a realist.

"When you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." Crosby, Stills & Nash

"No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need." Rolling Stones

Allan