Loop

Break -away torque on a reel is usually greater than the running torque except for the very best of drags where it is very close. This is because the static coefficient of friction is usually higher than the dynamic coefficient for most materials. Some reel manufactures advertise zero or near zero break-away torque and charge big bucks for it. The point of this post is that there is significant guide friction over and above this break-away difference so advertising zero break-away for light tippets is sort of pointless. Also, there can be significant drag from just the line in the water.

And yes, it does depend on where you have the rod pointed. This data was from a vertical rod. If you were stripping, the rod would be pointed down at the fish. In some people's opinion, this is a better attitude for dead drift fishing too.

Now add to the fact that most of us keep our off hand on the line for a hookset and the break-away force of the drag becomes totally pointless. Also, when on salt, any big fish will already be at 30 MPH when the reel comes into play so I use very little initial drag anyway.

Again, this was prompted by advertising claims for zero break-away on a reel and I took the bait.

You are right Bam - what is drag? Something you apply on the rim I think. It's also nice to prevent backlash when stripping line.

Godspeed,

Bob